Thursday, May 11, 2017

Love the Good Life / Hip Kit Club

Happy Thursday, friends!  Today I wanted to share the layout I created for iNSD over at Hip Kit Club.  We had so much fun last weekend with all the challenges and games going on.  My challenge was to use a Color Kit and create a unique background with it.  I used the April Hip Kits and Color Kit which contained the Vicki Boutin Art Crayons and Watercolor Sticker pack.  I started with some light yellow cardstock and a big chevron stencil from my stash.  I went over the center area of the cardstock with white gesso first and then started scribbling the crayons over the stencil.  I used my fingers to smudge the color around, and the gesso allowed them to smudge every easily.  A little of the crayons goes a long way!  I blended some reds, pinks, yellows and oranges together.  I had the perfect photos that matched of my daughter wearing the same colored swimsuit :)

I embellished with some of the Watercolor Stickers, some fussy cut Crate Paper flowers, some Paige Evans Chipboard flower stickers and some exclusive Hip Kit sequins.

(I have no idea why my photo of my layout is blurry...it's not blurry anywhere else.  Must be a Blogger thing....)


I really love how the bold colors turned out on the yellow cardstock.  I wanted to keep this bright and sunny, so I layered in some fussy cut Crate Paper flowers here and combined them with some Oh My Heart Chipboard flower stickers.  My title is from that same sticker sheet.  I did add some foam adhesive under my photos for dimension, which you can see here.  I layered the "love" piece on top of the flowers and then added "the good life" piece under that.  Layering is a great and easy way to add depth.  All those pretty sequins matched so well, and they are exclusive this month.


Gosh I love this!  I did add a little bit of water to some of the crayons after scribbling them on some plastic packaging.  I smushed the packaging down on top of the chevrons to get a little bit of a watercolor splash.  Once all that was dry, I ran it through my sewing machine adding some straight stitching with pink and orange thread.  Those circle stickers are the Vicki Boutin Watercolor Stickers, an I just scribbled and smudged the crayons on them.


If you keep the crayon smudging dry and don't add any water, you can really see the awesome texture of the cardstock.  I love how that looks!


More layering....more flowers....more sequins :)  You can't go wrong with any of those things, right? :D


Here's one more close-up just because I couldn't resist the colors again.... :D

This was so much fun to make.  I truly love getting messy and making my own backgrounds.  I hope this has given you some ideas to try :)  Take a look at my process video if you'd like to see how I created this.


Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a great day!


1 comment:

  1. So cute, Missy! Love all the bright, warm colors! I need to play with crayons more... I think I'd LOVE them. They look AMAZING here! XOXO

    ReplyDelete